Wednesday 24 January 2024

ART CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

 My name is Becky Elizabeth. I am 11 years old and a youngest sister to Devilon Junior Omondi and I am in grade six. I am happy to take this chance to tell you how art has changed my way of life by reducing stress, anxiety and offering perspectives on the challenges that we all face in our lives. Being raised in the largest slums in Africa (Kibera), a place where no one could actually wish to live if they were given a choice, but life pushes us to that extreme end. 


As a young person hoping for a better world, I was so passionate in dancing and singing but didn't have someone to support my talent. Luckily enough Calvin started an art project with the help of his friend Luca from another world. I joined it even though I had no idea about drawing. I joined the project also because I wanted to see how it feels when drawing since schools here didn't offer art classes or even value it all. My brother and I joined the project and we could enjoy watching each other's art work even though Junior was so talented but I had the passion to learn and improve on my art work.



As time goes by, we managed to rent a public room which we use for not only arts but also to learn lifeskills and other educational trainings. The projected started growing and many kids joined us. I noticed that my skills started improving being taught by a very friendly teacher Wex Wesley. I also learnt that art requires a deep discipline something our generation lacks. I also find it helpful that I was developing my confidence and creativity. I am so thankful for other supporters who have joined us in this project. I know great things are achieved my unity and not separation. I would like also to get the opportunity to continue dancing and singing by getting someone to teach us the cultural dance. Thank you for your time.






4 comments:

  1. Your great attitude will take you far in life! I look forward to seeing more of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your artwork, Becky. You are clearly a very talented young woman, positive and hopeful. Wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Becky Elizabeth.
    Your comment really moves me.
    I am so happy to hear that working with your artistic talents help you - and you really DO have talent!
    Your drawings and your facial decoration tells of a sharp eye for shapes and details
    And then, above it all you dance and sing ... Wonderful!
    I wish you all the best in this new year, dear.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky
    I'm so happy to read your letter, and I'm sorry to reply only now.
    I am very happy that our initiative has proven useful and interesting. I hope that the project can grow and become an opportunity for all of us.
    I am really sorry that life in Kibera is so difficult, and also for this reason some families (and also your one) have had to return to rural areas. I'm sorry that this has also caused the loss of some friendships that I believe were important. I hope you can find each other again one time.
    I heard from Calvin that you managed to come back to Kibera, and I saw your latest drawings. I hope you are well, and successful in school.
    I wish you a good school year.
    I hope to hear from you, as well as the other kids, soon.
    Luca

    ReplyDelete

My Experience with Art

 My name is Bryton Omondi. I am 13, years old in Kibera slums Nairobi. I am so passionate in drawing. I am confident to say that all my skil...